COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, our staff is still available to serve you during our normal office hours. We are offering our clients and potential clients the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Please call or email us to discuss your options.

Any type of Colorado motor vehicle accident has the potential to injure or kill drivers, passengers and pedestrians. Every day in Colorado, scores of car accidents are reported around the state. The great majority of those accidents results in minor injuries at worst. However, a few end in tragedy and the loss of life.

This was the recent case of an auto-pedestrian accident in Denver that fatally injured a 3-year-old boy outside a neighborhood ice cream store. According to police, the boy was with his mother and 7-year-old sister when they were struck by a vehicle in a crosswalk on South University Boulevard at East Ohio Avenue. The elderly female driver of the car remained at the scene of the crash. The boy was transported with severe head injuries to Children’s Hospital, where he died the following day without regaining consciousness. His mother and sister were treated for minor injuries and later released.

Most car accidents are preventable. Many are caused by negligent or reckless drivers. In such cases, an injured victim or surviving family members of someone killed can hold the driver accountable by filing a personal injury lawsuit or wrongful death lawsuit. Both types of lawsuit require evidence to prove to a court that the driver failed to exercise due caution and that the injury or the death could have been prevented if the driver had followed traffic rules and other safety procedures. For those who lose loved ones, filing a claim will not truly make up for the loss of life, but it can alleviate financial losses and problems that were caused by the accident.

Anyone who has been injured or lost a loved one in a car accident has several legal options available to recover compensation. Speaking with an experienced attorney can help determine how best to proceed.