This hit-and-run story is as profoundly sad as any get. It involves a late-night accident that took the life of a promising young Denver attorney. Her family and boyfriend obviously took the news in shock, according to local news reports.
“She was a talented lawyer, a great colleague and a wonderful presence in the Denver office. … Karina’s death will be felt by all of us at the firm. Our thoughts are with her family and her boyfriend, who was also injured on Saturday evening and is recovering,” stated a message released from the law firm she worked for.1
The only upside to this story, if it can be said there is any, is that the suspect who fled from the scene of the accident turned himself in to local law enforcement.
Hit-and-Run Details and Allegations
Fatal Hit-and-Run Suspect Turns Self In, Young Lawyer Killed | Lakewood Auto Accident Attorney
The following hit-and-run details and allegations were gathered from local news reports and police documents:
- The accident occurred at approximately 2 a.m. on Sunday, Oct. 30, 2016 at the intersection of Broadway and 13th Ave., when the suspect turned onto Broadway from westbound 13th striking her.
- One witness at the scene said the victim was crossing the intersection and had the right-of-way.
- The victim is a 28-year-old female, who died at the scene of blunt force trauma injuries, according to the medical examiner’s records.
- The victim was allegedly dragged underneath the pickup for approximately 50 feet, according to police reports.
- Police found and impounded a full-sized white Ford pickup truck believed to have been used in the hit-and-run. It was located a few blocks away from the accident site
- The 27-year-old male, suspect turned himself into authorities on Thursday, Nov. 4, 2106.
- He is being held at Denver’s downtown jail on suspicion of felony hit-and-run involving death, driving without proof of insurance, and careless driving that resulted in death.
- No bail has been set in the matter.
Seeking Compensation for the Hit-and-Run Victim’s Wrongful Death
Unfortunately, there’s a huge downside for the victim’s family in this case. The alleged driver didn’t have insurance. Here is a list of some paths the family can take to find justice and perhaps some compensation for the death of their loved one:
- Unfortunately, in this case the suspect doesn’t have insurance that the family could collect from, so they will probably have to seek compensation from the victim’s insurance company. And, there are limits to what the insurance company can pay out.
- Another possible avenue the family can pursue is seeking a civil lawsuit against the suspect’s family after a conviction for compensation for wrongful death.
- A civil lawsuit, however, will be put on hold until a clear conviction is made pertaining to evidence.
Contact Lakewood Auto Accident Attorney James L. Finegan
Have you been injured or lost a loved one to a hit-and-run accident where the driver was at-fault? If so, Lakewood Auto AccidentJames L. Finegan is here to pursue justice on your behalf and help you get the restitution for injuries and damage you deserve. For more than three decades, Finegan has been representing the victims of negligent drivers and building the strongest possible cases and bringing nearly all cases to a successful resolution.
To find out what rights you have and what possible compensation you can pursue, call Attorney James L. Finegan for a free, no obligations case evaluation today at 303-586-2961, or send him an email using the contact form on this page.
Headquartered in Lakewood, CO, the Law Offices of James L. Finegan, P.C. provides superior representation to clients in Jefferson County and in the Denver-Metro area as well as throughout the state of Colorado.
¹”Woman Killed in Denver Hit-and-Run ID’d as 28-Year-Old Laywer” published in Fox 31 News, Nov. 2016.