COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, our staff is still available to serve you during our normal office hours. We are offering our clients and potential clients the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Please call or email us to discuss your options.

Motor vehicle accidents are a headache at best and painful when worse. But most are easy enough to work through, so long as injuries and damages are minor. Crashes are far more complicated when the other driver flees the scene, though. They then become hit and runs.

If you’re involved in a hit and run, you will likely worry that you will cover all your damages out of pocket. But following these tips can help you receive recourse.

If you know the driver’s identity

You may have caught the license plate of the fleeing motorist’s vehicle. If you’re lucky, you recorded its make, model and color, too. Capturing this information can prove helpful in tracking down the other driver. If they have auto insurance, then you will make a claim through their policy. Many drivers who run after accident lack insurance, though. In this case, you can pursue a claim through your insurance’s uninsured or underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. You can also file a civil lawsuit if your insurance policy lacks this coverage or provides inadequate compensation.

If the driver’s identity is unknown

The fleeing driver may escape the scene before you can gather any details. Without this information, you cannot pursue a claim through their insurance. Nor can you receive a settlement through a civil suit. You may find relief through your insurance’s UM/UIM coverage. Regardless, make sure you document the scene to provide an accurate depiction of the accident’s impact. Doing so will help you receive the full benefits you deserve.

Hit and run accidents are frightening. They become even more so if you don’t know how to respond to them. Working with a personal injury lawyer can help you understand your options for recourse in case of one.