COVID-19 NOTIFICATION: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, our staff is still available to serve you during our normal office hours. We are offering our clients and potential clients the option to connect with us via telephone, email and video-conferencing. Please call or email us to discuss your options.

Roughly 7,000 people are hurt in car accidents each day in Colorado and throughout the United States. In an accident, you may experience head, face or other injuries that could take weeks, months or years to recover from. You may also experience depression, anxiety or other emotional issues after a motor vehicle collision.

How to treat a head injury

If you feel dizzy, have a headache or are sensitive to light in the aftermath of a car crash, you might have a concussion. Ideally, you will see a doctor right away to confirm the presence of a concussion or other type of traumatic head injury. If you do have a concussion, you’ll likely be asked to rest for a period of two to three weeks.

How to treat muscle strains or broken bones

In some cases, broken bones may be able to heal on their own without the need for surgery. If you have a broken collarbone, for example, your arm may be immobilized for a period of days or weeks while the bone fixes itself. However, surgery may be needed if you break a facial bone or a rib. Generally speaking, back pain and other minor muscle soreness can be treated with several weeks of rest, pain relievers and application of ice or heat to the area.

What to do about mental health issues after an accident

Ideally, you will see a mental health professional if you are feeling anxious or depressed after a car accident. This person may recommend that you mediate, talk about your feelings or take other steps to help you overcome the traumatic event that has caused your emotional distress. There is no general timeline as to when your mental health problems might resolve themselves.

If you have been hurt in a car accident, it may be possible to pursue a personal injury lawsuit. Alternatively, your attorney may be able to help you negotiate a settlement that includes money for medical bills and other damages incurred in a motor vehicle collision.