Free Case Consultations
Request Free Consultation
Attorney signing contract

What to Do After a Hit & Run Car Accident: FAQs

Posted on August 31, 2016 in

Hit-and-run car accidents can be as emotionally distressing as they may be physically harmful. Knowing what to do after another motorist has hit – and fled the scene, however, can be essential to:

  • Protecting your rights
  • Taking the right steps to financially recover from the crash.

Important Answers about What to Do after a Hit-and-Run Crash

What to Do After a Hit & Run Accident: FAQs

To help hit-and-run victims get on the path to healing and recovery, below, we have answered some of the most common questions people tend to have after being victimized by hit-and-runs.

While the answers below are intentionally general (to apply to as many readers as possible), please be aware that you can easily get more answers and information specific to you – and your auto accident – by contacting Lakewood Auto Accident Lawyer James L. Finegan. He is ready to help you.

Q: What should I do immediately after a crash when the other involved driver flees the scene?

A: Stay calm and call police ASAP to report the hit and run crash. Other important things to do in the immediate aftermath of a hit and run can include (and may not be limited to):

  • Taking notes about any details regarding the driver and/or his vehicle that you are able to remember.
  • Taking pictures of the damage to your vehicle (and any surrounding features if applicable).
  • Recording the names and contact information to any witnesses to the crash.

Q: What if the responsible driver is never identified or located? Will I be stuck footing the bill for my vehicle repairs (and/or medical treatment needs)?

A: It depends on the nature of your auto insurance policy and, specifically, whether you have uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage. If you do, this coverage will generally also cover you for the damage you suffer in hit and run accidents.

In other words, if you have UM/UIM coverage, you can file a claim with YOUR insurer for compensation for your hit-and-run-related damages.

Q: My insurance company has offered me a settlement for my hit and run claim. Should I just take it?

A: Not before you meet with a lawyer to find out if the settlement actually covers what you are owed. The reason that consulting an attorney (over insurers’ settlement offers) is so important is that insurance companies are NOT on claimants’ sides following car accidents.

In fact, insurers are usually just looking out for themselves, focused on preserving their own bottom line and profits. This can (and commonly does) come at the expense of crash victims. An attorney can make sure that you are victimized again after an auto accident by helping you stand up to insurers so you can obtain the full amount of compensation you deserve for your injuries, damage to your vehicle, etc.

Need More Answers? Contact Lakewood Auto Accident Attorney James L. Finegan

If you or someone you love has been harmed in a hit and run – or in any type of motor vehicle crash, contact Lakewood Auto Accident Lawyer James L. Finegan to discover more about your options for compensation and justice. Attorney James Finegan has devoted more than three decades of his career helping and protecting the victims of traffic wrecks, including hit and runs. Skilled and trusted, James Finegan can help you recover the full amount of compensation to which you are entitled after any type of auto accident.

Call (303) 980-5511 or (888) 980-5511 – or email our firm (via the contact form on this page) to set up an initial consult and get answers about your rights now.

From offices based in Lakewood, Attorney James L. Finegan provides superior representation to clients throughout Jefferson County and the state of Colorado.